Today we have Teresa from Dandelion Drift. I discovered Teresa on Instagram somehow while scanning through the #isew hashtag. I love looking through there whenever I have a little extra time. Try it sometime, you never know the awesomeness you’ll discover. I absolutely LOVE these woven felt baskets she came up with. I’ve seen them before and have even contemplated buying them. I’m so glad Teresa has done all the leg work for us and is showing us how to make our own! And with just one yard of felt! Take it away Teresa…
Hi there Living with Punks readers. I am Teresa and blog over at Dandelion Drift! I am so excited to be here to bring you a little tutorial. When Susan asked me to come help contribute to her home sewn series, I was a little bit stumped. I need a ton of things sewn for my house, which can be a bit overwhelming. The number one need on my list though, is a little help with organization. I looked around my favorite home decor blogs and found these great West Elm felt baskets. And then I found out they don’t sell them anymore. What is a DIYer to do? Make it, of course. Here’s your tutorial for these beautiful woven felt baskets.
Grab your supplies…just one yard of felt (and your sewing machine, of course)! Ready for the steps?
- Cut out two rectangles from your felt. Cut one 10” x 31” and cut one 14” x 27”
- Fold over the top inch of each rectangle on the shorter sides and stitch in place.
- Place one rectangle over the other, and stitch around the rectangle in the middle, where the two pieces of felt intersect.
- Measure up six inches from your stitched inner rectangle and mark with a washable fabric pencil.
- Cut a line every two inches, perpendicular from your inner rectangle, up to the marked line. Do this on all four sides.
- Now fold up each rectangle, until the corners meet. Stitch down the corners at the top two inches. Do this to all four corners of your basket.
- Now cut three long rectangles 2” x 49”. These will be your weaving strips.
- Weave your first layer, down at the bottom of the basket, going over and under. When you get to the end, grab the ends of your long weaving strip at the inside of the basket and stitch the ends together. Do this with the next two layers, alternating each layer over under then under over.
That’s it…you have made it to the end and you have a beautiful woven felt basket! Enjoy!
Thank you so much for having me here, Susan!
Don’t miss the other Home Sewn posts
We have a wonderful giveaway for everyone who is coming to check out all the posts for our Home Sewn Series! Today and every day until March 31, you can come and enter for a chance to win this incredible prize! Check it out…
Use the Rafflecopter window below to enter and good luck! Make sure to stop by everyday to check out the posts and discover more ways to enter!