Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
Let me start by saying this….  This floor cushion is the bomb!  Seriously…you know I’m all about floor pillows and I’ve made my fair share, but when I saw this tutorial, I knew I had to try it!  And since I’m totally into making quilts nowadays (Who am I?), I thought this would be the perfect compliment for the quilt I just made for the littlest punk.

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
The cushion uses a jelly roll…which is just strips of fabric cut at 2.5”.  I didn’t have a jelly roll, so I just used the fabric leftover from the quilt and cut my own strips.  The cushion top was pretty easy to construct, but there are ALOT of strips to sew together, so for me that spelled doing it when I could.  It certainly wasn’t a sit-down-and-do-it-all-at-once type of project.

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
For the bottom I used a solid piece of fabric (whew…after all that piecing, it was quite the respite).  I also opted to use store-bought piping which made it infinitely easier and I used my method in this tutorial to add it to the cushion

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
One problem I did end up having was that once all the strips were sewn together, I still had a hole in the middle….not that large, though….that’s my finger poking through.

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
So I just used a medallion off of one of the fabrics and using a tight zig zag stitch, sewed it on applique style and it worked great!

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
I actually kinda like the effect it gives to the center.

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
I ended up using bean bag pellets for the filling.  Natalie loves this part about it…she feels like a big girl now with her very own bean bag!

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
This cushion is just a small part of her room makeover  that I am knee-deep in.  I have  a few more projects from her room coming up and then a full reveal sometime at the end of the month.  Yay!

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
For now, I love the cushion cozied up next to her book shelves… a great companion for reading, don’t you think?
Until next time…

Made: Jelly Roll Floor Pillow
Click HERE to read more about the bookshelf
Click HERE to see the completed room tour!

Comments

I was just about to say that’s lot of stuffing then I saw “bean bag pellets” lol don’t think I’ve seen those before but that pillow is awsome!
    Helen

That is so beautiful!!! I love the fabric/color choice. I’m definitely going to be making some of these for my kids’ play room. Thanks for linking the tutorial!

Thanks guys! I know…I love it too. It’s just as smashing in person :)

I bought the bean bag pellets online about a year ago thinking I would use them someday. Can’t remember, but Amazon is ringing a bell. If you google it, it will bring up a ton of suppliers :)

Hubs and I made the shelves. Pretty simple to do, just a little elbow grease. I used a combo of a few different DIY instructions I found on Pinterest. :)

Thanks again for all the love <3

OH, WOW!!!!!

Your pillow is amazing! It’s not often I’m speechless, lol, but this did it. The fabric, the work…everything is perfect.

Your little one is BIG blessed. :)

This cushion is so beautiful! I am very impressed! I love all of the bright fabrics you used too. They are some of my favorites.
    I also had to call the hubby over to come look at the book shelves. I wan’t those! :)

OOh GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! I really love yours and even if it was done out of necessity, I LOVE the medallion center. That just finished the entire thing off pulling the eye toward the center.
    Bean bag filling is probably what I would use as well. I had seen that tutorial and thought it was an awesome looking pillow as well. I thought at some point down the road I’d make one for our Granddaughter.

Susan,
    Your pillow is amazing! I am so sorry about the hole in the middle. I have added a few steps to the Moda Bake Shop tutorial so this shouldn’t happen to anyone else. Even though your center is too cute for words!
    Great job, girl!!!
    Val

I am BEYOND OBSESSED with this pillow. You are inspiring me to want to learn how to sew, but I don’t think I’d be ANY good at it. I see you sell your floor cushions – any chance you’d sell one of these!?!?!?!

I know this is an old article, but I have a quick question: When you put the fabric medallion in the middle did you sew this all the way through to the backside then fill the beans around (like a donut?) or is the medallion only sewn to the top layer? It looks nice and puffy like the original tutorial but like this so much better than a button (which my daughter would probably pick or pull off). Thanks!!

Trackbacks