Tutorial: Mondo Piping {teeny bopper floor cushion}

DSC_0396
I’m calling this the teenage-sized version of the Kids Floor Cushion.  I changed the size to accommodate bigger kids to flop on and do their thang

DSC_0399
I also replaced the store-bought piping with gargantuan home-dec cording that I covered myself.  It adds a substantial shape that appeals to the kids looking to make a statement in their room

DSC_0446
I made another one with super big pom pom trim that I found {on clearance, love that} too!  Keep them stacked on top of each other on the corner of the living room so they are ready to be used whenever the kids feel like hanging out

DSC_0296
The trim was surprisingly easy to make…and I have some tips to help you make it even easier.
Wanna make one too?
Let’s start with the piping

DSC_0278
5 yards ~ 1” diameter cording
3/4 yard of quilting cotton fabric
Scissors or cutting mat and rotary cutter

DSC_0276
After squaring up your fabric, cut 6” strips of fabric.  You will need 4 strips total.

DSC_0283DSC_0285
DSC_0286DSC_0287
DSC_0288DSC_0289
Join all 4 of the 6” pieces together to make one long strip.  Lay one strip down on a flat surface, right side up.  Lay another strip right side down perpendicular to the other.  Take your straight edge and draw a vertical line from edge to edge.  Pin and sew a stitch on the line.  Trim to 1/4”.  Tip:  Pin all 4 pieces together first, then take to your sewing machine and sew all 4 pieces together

DSC_0290
Open up the piece and press seams open in the back and press in the front too

DSC_0282
Place the cording right in the middle of the now loooong 6” strip and fold over to match up edges.

DSC_0291DSC_0294
Pin the fabric close to the cording.  TIP:  Make sure to pin so that the pins are orientated so they are easy to pull out as you stitch.          Stitch as close to the cording as possible.   TIP:  Use your zipper foot!

DSC_0295
Trim the seam allowance down to about 3/8” .  Use on any home décor piece you’d like!  What else do you think a piping this big could be used on?

TO ADD THE MONOD PIPING TO FLOOR CUSHION
Now to add to the Floor Cushion.  Familiarize yourself with the construction of the Floor Cushion HERE.  For this version, I cut the 2 circles to 22” diameter and the side piece is 9.5”.    Sew the piping on as shown in the tutorial.  Simple as that.  The only difference will be at the end.   Because of the size of  the piping, we can’t finish it off in the same manner.  Here is what you need to do:
DSC_0299
Cut the trim about 2” beyond the end

DSC_0300DSC_0301
DSC_0302DSC_0303
Rip the seam on the end of the piping and pull back to expose the cording.  Line up with the starting piping and cut the cording to fit.  Only cut the cording!  Fold the fabric back over the starting piping and wrap the edges under to hide the raw edge.  Bring the fabric back under to meet up with the rest of the piping and finish sewing down to circle. TIP: You may need to hand sew the folded seam in a few places to secure.   Continue with the rest of the Floor Cushion Tutorial

DSC_0407
Let the kids flop!

DSC_0448
They look great stacked in the corner too!

DSC_0446
I lurve the pom trim one too!  Pom’s just rock my world, remember? …check out THIS and THIS

DSC_0450DSC_0432
DSC_0406

Thanks for reading!  If you make one let ME SEE IT in the Flickr Pool!!!!!
image signature
Pin It
Share with your friends and followers!

Comments

1. I LOVE THIS. LOVE LOVE LOVE. LOVE LOVE.
    2. I haven’t popped over from my reader in awhile, and the redesign on the bloggy blog is AWESOME! Love the header, and it matches today’s post quite well. :)

another fabulous version! The original project is what originally drew me to your blog. I haven’t made one yet, but those pillows are high on my to do list.

Awesome!!! These are so great. I can’t imagine any kid not liking this. Also, lately I’ve been reading your posts through blogger, this was the first time I actually went to your site. I am digging he new look of your blog!

Hi Susan –
    You are my sewing idol!!! The cushions are prefect and I love the way they stack. I think I could even make one following your very detailed tute. Those pom-poms – swoon….

My best- Diane

Fantastic!! I just made a slightly bigger version of your kid sized ones (19″ cirlces and 9″ middle) for my kids for Christmas. They were a huge hit-thanks! Good luck on PR&P!! Can’t wait for it to start :)

Ok So I’m in love with your Idea of the floor cushion for kids but I also like this one! I want to make one kids cushion for my 19month daughter, and two of these bigger ones. So my question is regarding this tutorial, how much fabric do I need to make one of these teeny bopper cushions and how much bias tape/ or pom poms would I need? sorry for the dumb question I’m still a beginner at sewing.

Sahily Chronicles~ I’m pretty sure I made these 24″ diameter. I would purchase 2 yards of fabric just to be safe. To get the diameter, I used a trash can lid to get the circle shape. I would get 2 packages of tape or 4 yards of pom trim just to be safe. I always like to get a little more than I think, cause you can always trim away, but its difficult to add to…especially when you have to drive back to the blasted fabric store ;). Good luck!

I love this floor pillow, thanks for the great tutorial! One question, because I am HORRIBLE at all things math related! I know for the 17″ pillow you said to cut the side 9″ x 51.5,” and for the 22″ to make it 9.5″. But what is the length? I am assuming it would have to be longer than the 51.5″ to accommodate the larger circle, is that right? Thanks, and sorry for my math stupidity! :)

asill76, I had the same question, but then when I realized the answer wasn’t posted, I remembered geometry (geez, that was a long time ago) and figured it out. To get a circle’s circumference, you multiply the diameter by pi (3.1415…), and since you’re using a seam allowance, the diameter of the finished circle will be slightly less than the 22″ you’re cutting. 22 x pi = 69, but take about two inches off that to make it 67 (regarding the original pattern, 17 x pi = 53.4, and she took off about two inches to get to 51.5, if that makes sense). Hope that helps! I’m going to make a couple of these myself– I’m really excited!

Suzanne, I didn’t put a handle on these cushions, but I guess you always could using the same method as the original cushion post. :)

asill76, The way I did it, so I didn’t make a cutting mistake, was to just sew the two pieces for the sides together and then pinned it to the first circle. When I got to the end, I then pinned the sides together and cut off the excess…hope that makes sense!! Or you can always try erica’s way!!

erica, Thanks for the mathematics!!! I could’ve never figured it out that way! LOL My way is a little less scientific (see above)

Hi, totally new here. Question about the piping- are there more details on how-to? Any reason why one wouldn’t just make a tube and pull the cord thru? Last question, what did you stuff with?
    Thx!

These are just darn gorgeous!!! I’ve been searching for a DIY of classy floor cushions and have found it!! I love the bean bag fil idea as well. Just wondering, What are the dimensions of these particular cushions? Thank you!! I want to get started on these as soon as I invest in a sewing machine :)

13. Marie says

Hi! I want to make these larger sized ones, the 22″ diameter – for the 17″ the tutorial states one yard of fabric…total, for the whole thing: top, bottom, side, handle? To make ONE 22″ diameter cushion, would I need more than one yard of fabric for the top and bottom piece combined, or would I need more? I’m just a little confused how much fabric to order. I intend to make one 22″ pillow and 2 17″ pillows. I already downloaded and printed the circle template.

Thanks!