SYS~Bookworm Skirt

I’m so excited to finally start this series!
My mind has been overflowing with ideas and I know all the bloggers I have lined up are eager to show you their creations!
First up is this fun and studious skirt for you or your little one.
SYS~Bookworm Skirt
The skirt is super simple to create and uses up alot of odd-sized scraps!
SYS~Bookworm Skirt
It even uses up the actual selvedge where the fabric design and designer is printed as the book titles.  So fun!
SYS~Bookworm Skirt
I first saw and pinned this mini quilt as my inspiration.   Her process was a bit more involved then I wanted to get, so I made up my own simple, quick way to create the books…
SYS~Bookworm Skirt
I love the finished product and it wears so easily.
What’s that?  Can’t live without one?  Follow along then…
MATERIALS
1/2 yard White Linen
Odd sized scraps
Bias tape
SYS~Bookworm SkirtFirst, determine who’s wearing this skirt.  Measure their waist and then add 75% to it to determine the width.  I made this one for my daughter and her waist is 20”.  So, I cut the width to be 35”.  The length of the skirt will depend on where you want it to fall.  I suggest at least knee length. Once you decide on a length, add 1.5” .  So, my rectangle is 35” x17”.
SYS~Bookworm Skirt I’m sure you have alot of this shaped scrap lying around, no?  We are gonna use them up!

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Cut down the odd-shaped piece so that is a rectangle.  You will need several different lengths and widths, so don’t cut them all the same!

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Fold the rectangle over wrong sides together and sew a 1/8” seam down the side

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Place the seam at the back and press

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Fold the ends in on one side and press

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Keep an eye on your books and making sure you have varied heights

SYS~Bookworm Skirt You’re going to want to place some ‘titles’ on a few of your ‘books’ to add interest.  Sew on a few selvedge edge design titles

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Cute!

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Once you are satisfied with your arrangement, take a picture!  You don’t want to loose track!

SYS~Bookworm Skirt SYS~Bookworm Skirt
Pin on your first book, aligning raw edges and making sure it is STRAIGHT!  Sew a close edge stitch around the entire book (3 sides)

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Continue sewing each book on individually

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Once all the books are sewn on, fold the skirt over right sides together and sew a seam down the side

SYS~Bookworm Skirt Serge or zig-zag the seam to keep from fraying

SYS~Bookworm SkirtGet your bias tape and notice one side is a tad shorter on one side.  Make sure to put that shorter side on the right side of the fabric.

SYS~Bookworm Skirt  Sew on the bias tape keeping your stitch close to the edge of the tape

SYS~Bookworm Skirt SYS~Bookworm Skirt SYS~Bookworm Skirt SYS~Bookworm SkirtSYS~Bookworm Skirt
Finish the top by ironing over 1/4” then again 1” to hide the raw edge.  Stitch the folded edge over leaving an opening to thread your elastic through.  Zig-zag the elastic to secure and close up the skirt.

You’re done!

SYS~Bookworm Skirt

Now head to the Library and read some books!

SYS~Bookworm Skirt

Or just wreak havoc, like we did…
If you make a Bookworm Skirt, post it into our Flickr group so we can see whatcha been makin’!

Now go get busy!
SYS~Bookworm Skirt

Update: The bookworm Skirt won Judges Choice at Crafterhous 2011 Skirt Week Contest

Comments

Oh, I love this it combines all my favorite things kids, sewing, books, and nachos. Wait…it combines all my favorite things except the nachos.

So cute.
    liZ
    (simplesimonandco)

You did an awesome job on this skirt. Adorable! I’d seen that wall hanging myself and thought it was such a great idea and something I put in the back of my mind for when I had some selvedges. This skirt is super cute though and might be what I make instead.

Fabulous – I’ve used this style of skirt for my girls over and over, adjusting applique, width (i.e to give more twirl, to make straighter). This is another fabulous idea I’ll certainly be using. Thanks for posting.

What an adorable use of gorgeous fabrics…right down to the selvage! I loved the mini-quilt also, but prefer garments over quilts anyday! I look funny in public with a quilt wrapped around me here in Florida!

So cool! Love your styling of it with the Converse too. Might have to make a grown-up one for me. Thanks for the tutorial.

this is so CUTE! we love the library {i worked their before i had my daughter} so i just might have to put this on my to make list! thanks for sharing!

Oh my gosh! This is SO SO cute! Thanks for the tutorial – I love your new blog design as well. I haven’t been to your site in a while, looks good!!

I love, love, love this! I’m totally going to have to do this! I’m right in the middle of a few things right now but I will be making this VERY soon. Thank you so much!

This tutorial makes me want to dress like Mrs. Frizzel for school next year and make one with all the books I would recommend to my students to read! hat would be WAY too much fun!

What a brilliant idea. I have a wonderful stripwork twirl skirt pattern that could be adopted to this technique. At first I thought you printed the “book names” – so clever to use the fabric selvage….love this. Going to get sewing soon.

I’m so excited you won!! I just finished making one for my daughters today. It’s darling. Thanks for taking the time to share the tutorial. I’ll be adding to the flickr pool soon. Thanks again!!

this is one of the cutest things I have ever seen, and I MUST make one for my 2.5 year old. Just happened upon your site via craftzine and I am obsessing over it. your aesthetic is great and your kids are so cute

I was smitten with this idea the minute I read it, and finally found the time to make one for my bookloving-daughter. She handpicked the titles from her favourite books and I added a double layer to make it a autumn-winter dress. We love the result! (I am not able to upload a picture on the Flickrgroup, so feel free to take a look at the photo’s I just posted at my blog).

Thanks for the awesome idea and tutorial! Kind regards,
    Sacha (zolderwerk.les-bastides.nl)

Hi there! I just made this using the size you used! (17″x35″) What size would you say this made? I don’t have a little girl to try this on & just wanted to know so I could appropriately give it to the right person! LOL How long was your elastic before putting it in the casing?

I just LOVE this skirt! It is so cute! I am going to make one for my granddaughter and my grandniece! I am sure they will love them!’first I have to hunt down some selveges, gosh, if I don’t find enough, I may have to buy fabric!

I am also looking forward to making the Ella dress. I have saved the pattern and instructions to Google Drive. I have found Google Drive to be very useful! I save patterns and links on Google Drive, (you can get an extension for chrome) instead of my computer, which makes ithings much easier for me to find laterl.

Since I have 3 computers, only one of which is hooked up to a computer, It’s much, much easier to upload it to Google Drive than to try and remember which computer I saved which tutorial or pattern on, and then transfer it to a computer that is hooked up with a printer. They give you 15 gigs of storage for free, so I don’t think I will run out of space for awhile.

I also just joined your Flickr group so I can upload my creations from your patterns and also see what everyone else is doing. Thanks so much for sharing your abundant creativity with all of us!

It has been about 1-1/2 years since I took up sewing again, and it is the internet with all of the wonderful creative people, like you, in the blogosphere who have inspired me to start sewing again. With all of the tutorials, patterns, tips and instruction out there, I am now having more success sewing than I ever did in the past.

Have a GREAT day and HAPPY STICHING! Thanks again for shaing your creativity with us!