I’m sure you’ve all been stuck at one point or another wondering what to make for someone’s new little baby. You want to make something that will be useful, cute, and get used. Many handmade items don’t always fit into those categories. But here is something that does. The football softie tutorial!
The perfect way to use up some scraps of fabric and ribbon. I used flannel scraps here but quilting fabric or even minky would work great. I think the taggies on the football make the toy super cute and a bit more interesting for babies. Of course, you could omit those and it would still be just as useful! I’ve also added jingle bells inside the football but feel free to omit those as well.
- Print the football template, or draw your own
- Cut 4 pieces for the football (I like to use freezer paper to get the job done quickly)
- Cut 1 ribbon 6.5″ long (if you use a different size football cut ribbon accordingly)
- Cut 8 ribbons 3″ long
- Jingle bells (3-5)
- Cut a small scrap about 2″ x 4″
1. Pin ribbons onto one piece of the football
Turn ends under on the center ribbon. Loop the other ribbons and tuck them under the center ribbon. Sew center ribbon along edges.
2. Sew the football pieces together, right sides together. Use a 1/4″ seam allowance. Stop sewing 1/4″ from the ends.
3. Sew the next pieces of the football together (right sides). Edges should join as so:
4. Leave a 2-3″ opening when joining the final pieces. This will allow you to turn the football right side out and stuff.
5. Turn right side out
6. Use the small scrap of fabric to encase the jingle bells. It doesn’t have to be pretty it just needs to hold them together.
7. Stuff the football, placing the jingle bell pouch in the middle of the stuffing.
8. Hand sew the opening closed.
And finally, present your special taggie football to a little special guy or gal.
Thanks for inviting me to join Scrap Your Stash Susan! It’s been fun!