This is a post of a post and and adaptation of an adaptation.
Did I lose ya?
OK… First saw this fantabulous link on PW who linked to What Katie Ate.
What Katie Ate adapted it from Gourmet Traveler and I am now adapting it from Katie…
Whew. Was all that necessary? I don’t know, let’s just do this…
This dish is not drowning in cheese sauce like the boxed stuff, but the nuttiness of the gruyere and the sharpness of the cheddar is almost too much to handle. Flavor galore!
- 1 lb. dried macaroni pasta
- 1.5 cups gruyere cheese
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese
- .5 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 2 T. butter
- Salt and pepper (taste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook macaroni according to package or until al dente, drain. Return pasta to pot to keep warm
- Combine the milk, cream and butter in a skillet and bring to a slow simmer.
- Once it has simmered for a few seconds, add a little more than half the cheese
- Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and combine.
- Add the creamy cheese mixture to the pasta and toss to coat
- Pour into a prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on top.