Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf

Getting ready for Fall again…..Our weather has cooled off a bit here and the nippy mornings are getting me in the mood….

Tutorial: Button Ruffle ScarfTutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf

I seem to get these ideas late at night, and then I stay up wayyyy too late, excited to get it done…..Am I alone?  Does anyone else do that?

Tutorial: Button Ruffle ScarfTutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
I love seeing a little girl in ruffles!
Especially when they can besweeping the cheek, right?
This scarf is so easy.  It took me about 1 hour to complete, minus all the buttonhole practice!  I used knit yardage for the teal blue scarf.  The pink striped scarf I used thrifted Tshirts!  I actually have enough of the striped shirt to make some matching leggings.  The sky is the limit with this ladies.
I even wrapped the scarf around my own neck and think it would be easy to add another foot to the length and make an adult size!

Tutorial: Button Ruffle ScarfTutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf

Materials Needed
1/4 yard knit fabric for the main piece (or use a recycled shirt)
1/4 yard knit fabric for the ruffle
2 buttons
Hand sewing needle

Instructions

Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf

Cut your main piece of fabric as shown above.  Make sure you are cutting through both layers of fabric to get two pieces

Tutorial: Button Ruffle ScarfTutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Cut your ruffle fabric at 1.5″ from fold to selvage.  You will have to cut 3-4 pieces to give you approx 180″ of fabric.  Sew the strips RST together to make one long piece.
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Set your tension to the highest setting on your sewing machine
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Stitching a 1/4″ seam, start stitching and watch the ruffles create themselves.  This really saves alot of time.  It literally took me under a minute to make all these ruffles
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Look at all the goodness
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Take your ruffled piece and put it RST on top of one of the scarf pieces.  You want both RAW EDGES together.  Pin generously to prevent shifting. On the corners, just make sure the ruffles are situated to not get sewn up where they shouldn’t be.
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Make sure to turn your sewing machine back to its normal tension setting (knits seem to need to be on a lower than normal setting anyway).  Sew with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Take the other scarf piece and lay it on top of the piece you just sewed the ruffle to, right sides together.  Pin generously.  Mark about a 4″ spot to turn the scarf once finished.   Turn the scarf  to the already stitched side to use as a guide and sew in the same stitches.  Stitch around the entire scarf except for the 4″ marked off to turn
Remove pins and clip all 4 corners.  Turn right side out
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
 Find the 4 inches you left open to turn and turn under the excess so it lines up with the rest of the piece.  Using your hand sewing needle, begin to close up the opening.  Just go thru both pieces of fabric, very close to the hem and sew up.
10.
On the square side of the scarf, measure for the buttons.  Measure in 1.5 inches both from the side and the top.  Do this on both sides and mark your points.  This will be where your buttonhole begins
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
Sidebar: If you’ve never made buttonholes before, don’ be scared!  Watch thisvideo tutorial like I did and be not afraid!  Also, practice!  I always tell my boys when they get discouraged about something that the expert in anything was once a beginner!
11.
Use the mark you made as your ENDPOINT.  In other words, the mark will be the edge of the buttonhole.  The rest of the buttonhole will go towards the longer part of the scarf.  Repeat on the other mark. Open up the buttonholes CAREFULLY using a seam ripper
12.
Measure down the LONGER edge of the scarf.  Put the first button at about 17″ and the second at about 19.5″.  BEFORE you do this, measure your child’s neck and see if that is going to work.  You can always adjust where they are going to fit your needs.  Just mark the position with a pencil
13.
Put the first button about 2 inches in from the long side.  The second button (the one closest to the angled edge) should be about 2.5 inches from the side
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf
And you’re done!  Iron it if needed and wrap around your sweetie!
Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf

I had so much fun making this scarf.  I hope you make one too!
You can always post to the Flickr Group so we can see your goods  Tutorial: Button Ruffle Scarf

I’ll be sharing this at all the lovely link parties on my header button
or you can simply go here

Comments

Can totally relate with you and your late nights…. ;) it’s hard to turn your brain off when there are so many neat things to make. I am a recently just took up sewing & I can get enough!
    I just finished 3 dresses (since Saturday) and I can officially say I know what my next project is! ;)
    Thanks for all of the wonderful inspiration.

This is adorable! Thanks for the tute. I can’t believe you didn’t use elastic thread or anything to get those ruffles……just some increased tension? Very neat!

Anyone else have trouble making the ruffles? My fabric stays nice and flat even when on the highest tension. I know how to make ruffles by pulling on one of the threads and working the fabric down but the other way looked so much easier :(

Bryana~ If your TENSION is set to the highest point, you should be getting ruffles…..hmmm. You can always do the pull the thread thing, but that is a loooong piece to have to pull so, try piecing together AFTER you create the ruffles. Hope that helps!!!

Some of my best ideas come at 2am… but then my wadder pile of rejects also seems to fill up quickly with my 2am ideas…

I love this scarf- can’t wait to make some for presents. thanks for sharing!

This is so cute! And what a good idea for little kids who wouldn’t be able to keep the scarf tucked in right. I’ve added this to my never ending list of projects to do. Thanks!

I love this scarf. I think my little one will be getting a few of these for her birthday in October for the upcoming cold weather.
    And I love the runway super model look in the first photo!!

An update about my problem with ruffles: I’ve found it works perfectly fine when I’m using jersey knit, lace or tulle. Regular cotton fabric doesn’t ruffle for me though and for some reason that’s what I thought you were using for your trim.

I just stumbled across your blog and can I tell you a huge THANK YOU for your idea on the ruffling. I was about to buy a big expensive foot so I could ruffle my fabrics but your tension idea solved the trick!!! I’ve tried it on cottons, velvets, knits, and a few others. So far it works on everything for me. I’ll be stopping by a lot more to see what other cute ideas you have.

thanks again!!

Love this to death!!!

Thanks so much for the tutorial — making a few for my little 1st grader to wear to school!!!

Featured over at

imaginethatbychris.blogspot.com

So cute! I love your blog too!

I am unable to make ruffles for some reason, with any type of fabric, so I had to make the ruffles by hand which was a drag especially after reading your suggestion about piecing them together afterwards… lol

Anyway, thank you for this! :)

The Mad Ruffler

For those of you who can’t get ruffles by just turning up the tension, try increasing your stitch length as well. The longer the stitch the tighter your ruffles will be.

Love! I just made this last night for my niece’s birthday. I’m hoping she likes it, but I think it’s totally adorable! Even if I hadn’t made the scarf, it was totally worth your tutorial just to learn the ruffle trick with the tension!!!— why have I never heard this before?…so much faster than gathering the bobbin thread. THANK YOU!

I love these scarfs!! I was inspired to make one last night. I just use some fabric that I had, but I cannot wait to get some knit fabric to do some. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

I never knew making a button hole was so darn easy! (I have totally been avoiding them.) My machine actually does it all by itself! Thanks for linking to the “how-to” video – what would we do without YouTube? Just finished a flannel/fleece scarflet for my little girl who is absolutely *giddy* about the pink ruffles. Love your tutorials! (The floor cushion is next on my list.)

Thank you so much for the button hole video. I have the same machine you have, and was thinking that I should dig out the manual and learn how to do them – you made it so easy for me – I just made my first machine sewn buttonhole!

The scarf is very cute, too. Alas, no little girls to make it for…

17. Niki Curry says

Your tutorials rock! I thought I was the only one who stayed up late with crazy crafty ideas running through my head. Sometimes I think I could’ve actually went to sleep earlier if I would’ve just done the project instead of trying to sleep.