Tin Can Pincushion

Tin Can Pincushion

When I saw Fireflies & Jellybeans announced a crafting challenge a few weeks back, I decided I would try it…even though the challenge included recycled cans.  Unless you didn’t notice, I like to sew  :)  But, I want to expand my crafting abilities and I thought it would be a great opportunity.

You will need:

1 Almond Can
1 piece scrap fabric  11.5×2.5
1 scrap fabric 5″ diameter
Mod Podge

Tin Can Pincushion

I saved some 6oz. flavored almond cans (we’ve got lots :)), not knowing how I was going to use it….

Well, as they say, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree (I know that is usually used for a mother/daughter reference, but you get the drift) because although my craft does not involve sewing, I can use it in the sewing room!

Tin Can Pincushion

I started by cutting a piece of scrap fabric the circumference of the can, basically 11.5 x 2.5, and mod-podged it to the side.

Tin Can Pincushion

I stuffed the can with fiberfill

Tin Can Pincushion

Then took my 5″ diameter piece of fabric and filled it in my hand…this will give some loftiness to the cushion…

Tin Can PincushionTin Can Pincushion

And stuffed it down into the sides, making sure to center the circle

Tin Can Pincushion

I didn’t want to just throw the plastic top away, so I cut it out in the shape of a funky flower

Tin Can Pincushion

…and mod-podged some fabric to it.  I used a cute piece of felt for the flower center

Tin Can Pincushion

And glued the funky flower to the pincushion

Tin Can Pincushion
I love it and it looks soooo cute in my sewing room
Tin Can Pincushion
~Susan
Tin Can Pincushion      Tin Can Pincushion

Comments

I LOVE this pincushion. I have one of those ancient old red tomatoes that has seen better days and this would be so fun to make! Thanks for linking this project to Woo Hoo! Wednesday and joining the fun.

This is both resourceful and lovely. Great photo shoot as well. I spotted your project featured at Tatertots and dropped by, glad I did!

! I love this, EVEN I can do it and I know a few people I can give one to as gifts. I’m so excited! TFS!!! (saw this on Mod Podge Rocks)

OH, noticed your Orange Handled Scissors-Fiskars I’m sure??? If you’re not already, you can join us at Fiskateers.com and become a Fiskateer. MUCH fun there!

i tried to make it from a tin can of salmon but it was so smelly (even though i washed it for several times) that i couldn’t use it! i am about to find another tin can now, because here in Greece we have not tin cans with almonds! ;-)

What a CUTE idea, Susan. (Love your blog name, by the way) I really like the patterns you chose! The flower is an extra special touch. Visiting from The CSI Project. Hope you’ll come by and say hi. :)

oh my GOSH!!! It would never have occurred to me to make a pincushion like this. You are so creative. I just found your site today and it is now bookmarked. I wonder if this would work with small yogurt containers? I might give that a try. all the best.

Just this week I saw some little itty bitty Walt Disney coffee cans that I saved. When I saw them it reminded me of the very same pinchusion idea. I just needed the instructions!!
    Thanks so very much!!!

Thanks so very much!!!

Trackbacks

1. […] I *really* love this pincushion by Susan at Living with Punks. I also have to mention that I love her blog name. I grew up with four punk brothers, so I can totally relate! Susan used an old almond can and some scrap fabrics to pull this together. Since I have enough scrap fabric to make about 1,000 of these, I’m thinking this might be a great project for me. I think it would be for you too. Find the complete tutorial here. […]